Cizmarova 2017 MiPschool Obergurgl
Cizmarova B, Garcia-Souza LF, Menz V, Burtscher M, Sumbalova Z, Gnaiger E (2017)
Event: MiPschool Obergurgl 2017
Mitochondria are important organelles, considered as main energy producers in the body. Their dysfunction plays a central role in the pathophysiology of a variety of diseases (e.g. degenerative diseases, aging and cancer), they play a crucial role in cellular bioenergetics and apoptosis, and are also producers of reactive oxygen species. Measurement of blood cells' mitochondrial function may provide a very low-invasive test (in comparison to invasive sampling of muscle biopsies) which should be well suited for diagnostic use. Peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) provide a promising model for the study of mitochondrial respiration, and cryopreservation as a biomarker for mitochondrial respiratory function. Cryopreservation of blood cells offers many advantages for research and the storage of multiple aliquots of the cells from the same individuals allows usage of the samples for further studies. Cryopreservation can influence cell viability, recovery, and also functionality. It is therefore very important to standardize and optimize cryopreservation protocols and storage conditions.
• Bioblast editor: Kandolf G • O2k-Network Lab: SK Bratislava Sumbalova Z
Labels: MiParea: Respiration, mt-Medicine
Tissue;cell: Blood cells
Event: E1, Review PBMCs, MitoEAGLE
Affiliations and support
Cizmarova B(1,2), Garcia-Souza LF(1,3), Menz V(3), Burtscher M(3), Sumbalova Z(1,4), Gnaiger E(1,5)
- Daniel Swarovski Research Lab, Dept Visceral, Transplant Thoracic Surgery, Medical Univ Innsbruck, Austria
- Dept Medical Clinical Biochem, Fac Medicine, Pavol Jozef Šafárik Univ Košice, Slovakia
- Inst Sport Science, Univ Innsbruck, Austria
- Pharmacobiochemical Lab, 3rd Dept Internal Medicine, Fac Medicine, Comenius Univ, Bratislava, Slovakia
- Oroboros Instruments, Innsbruck, Austria. - [email protected]
- Contribution to European Union Framework Programme Horizon 2020 COST Action CA15203 MitoEAGLE.
- Karabatsiakis A, Böck C, Salinas-Manrique J, Kolassa S, Calzia E, Dietrich DE, Kolassa IT (2014) Mitochondrial respiration in peripheral blood mononuclear cells correlates with depressive subsymptoms and severity of major depression. Transl Psychiatry 4:e397.
- Aziz N, Margolick JB, Detels R, Rinaldo CR, Phair J, Jamieson BD, Butch AW(2013) Value of a quality assessment program in optimizing cryopreservation of peripheral blood mononuclear cells in a multicenter study. Clin Vaccine Immunol 20:590–5.