Fischer 2018 MiPschool Tromso E2
Fischer C, Volani C, Gnaiger E, Weiss G (2018)
Event: MiPschool Tromso-Bergen 2018
Iron is an essential co-factor for a variety of metabolic processes and mitochondria are the main sites of iron utilization as they need iron for mitochondrial respiration [1,2]. Iron deficiency negatively affects cellular energy metabolism and iron overload increases the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) through the Fenton reaction . Therefore, the consequences of iron deficiency anemia and iron overload conditions on mitochondrial function need to be investigated.
Iron deficiency anemia and iron overload will be investigated in different mouse models with dietary and genetic predisposition to these diseases. Mitochondrial respiratory capacity will be investigated by means of high resolution respirometry (Oroboros, Innsbruck) in isolated mitochondria from liver, heart and brain. In addition, the usage of AmplexUltraRed will provide knowledge about the effects of the two pathologies on mitochondrial respiratory capacity and ROS production .
The subsequent comparison of the effects on mitochondrial respiration and ROS production will eventually show individual characteristics caused by the individual disease origin (dietary vs. genetic iron deficiency anemia and dietary vs. genetic iron overload) of the pathologies. As we showed before, dietary iron overload leads to an impairment in mitochondrial respiratory capacity partly due to iron-mediated oxidative stress within mitochondria . However, little is known about the effects of iron deficiency anemia on mitochondrial respiration and their possible implications with the patients’ symptoms like weakness and fatigue. Therefore, it is crucial to further identify the effects and underlying causes of these two pathological conditions in order to be able to provide improved treatment options for patients.
• Bioblast editor: Plangger M • O2k-Network Lab: AT Innsbruck Oroboros
Fischer C(1), Volani C(1), Gnaiger E(2,3), Weiss G(1)
- Dept Internal Medicine II, Medical Univ Innsbruck
- Oroboros Instruments
- Dept Visceral, Transplant Thoracic Surgery, Daniel Swarovski Research Lab, Medical Univ Innsbruck; Innsbruck, Austria. - [email protected]
- Camaschella C (2015) Iron deficiency anemia. N Engl J Med 19:1832-43.
- Volani C, Doerrier C, Demetz E, Haschka D, Paglia G, Lavdas AA, Gnaiger E, Weiss G (2017) Dietary iron loading negatively affects liver mitochondrial function. Metallomics 9:1634-44.
- Krumschnabel G, Fontana-Ayoub M, Sumbalova Z, Heidler J, Gauper K, Fasching M, Gnaiger E (2015) Simultaneous high-resolution measurement of mitochondrial respiration and hydrogen peroxide production. Methods Mol Biol 1264:245-61.
Labels: MiParea: Respiration Pathology: Other
Organism: Mouse Tissue;cell: Heart, Nervous system, Liver Preparation: Isolated mitochondria
HRR: Oxygraph-2k, O2k-Fluorometer Event: E2 AmR