Huete-Ortega 2020 AlgaEurope2020
|Huete-Ortega M, Di Marcello M, Iglesias-Gonzalez J, Gnaiger E (2020) Application of high-resolution respirometry for studying chloroplast and mitochondrial bioenergetics in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii grown for biotechnology exploitations. AlgaEurope 2020 Rome IT.|
Event: AlgaEurope 2020 Rome IT
Chloroplast and mitochondrial bioenergetic control of algal growth and metabolite production is necessary to maintain metabolic integrity. In contrast to mammalian cells, algal mitochondria express alternative oxidases (AOX), which divert electron transfer from coenzyme Q (Q) away from cytochrome c oxidase (Complex IV, CIV) . In algae, therefore, we distinguish between respiration through the Q-AOX and Q-CIV branches of the electron transfer system. A better understanding of the contribution of both branches to mitochondrial dark respiration is required to optimize algal biomass and metabolite production for biotechnological purposes. High-resolution respirometry (HRR; Oroboros O2k) is widely used to assess mitochondrial respiration and other bioenergetic parameters in the biomedical field of mitochondrial and cell research . In our interdisciplinary study, we introduced a new method of studying oxygen kinetics  for the partitioning of dark respiration between the Q-AOX and Q-CIV branches in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii grown for biomass and lipid production . This method is based on the distinct oxygen affinities of these enzymes. In addition, the multimodal approach of the Oroboros O2k was extended using the novel PhotoBiology-Module of the NextGen-O2k for determining the maximum light-saturated and inorganic carbon-saturated photosynthesis rates [5,6]. This methodology allows for increasing our current knowledge of the bioenergetics of chloroplasts and mitochondria, which is of particular importance for biotechnological exploitations.
Labels: MiParea: Respiration, Instruments;methods
Affiliations and support
- Oroboros Instruments GmbH, Innsbruck, Austria
- This communication is part of the NextGen-O2k project that has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under the grant agreement No 859770.
- Young L, Shiba T, Harada S, Kita K, Albury MS, Moore AL (2013) The alternative oxidases: simple oxidoreductase proteins with complex functions.Biochem Soc Trans 41:1305-11.
- Doerrier C, Garcia-Souza LF, Krumschnabel G, Wohlfarter Y, Mészáros AT, Gnaiger E (2018) High-Resolution FluoRespirometry and OXPHOS protocols for human cells, permeabilized fibers from small biopsies of muscle, and isolated mitochondria. Methods Mol. Biol. 1782:31-70.
- Meszaros AT, Haider M, Di Marcello M, Gnaiger E (2018) High-resolution mitochondrial oxygen kinetics as diagnostic tool in Complex IV impairments. Abstract Mitochondrial Medicine 2018 Hinxton UK.
- Pulz O, Gross W (2004) Valuable products from biotechnology of microalgae. App. Microbiol. Microbiol. Biotech. 65:635-48.
- Giordano M, Pezzoni V, Hell R (2000) Strategies for the allocation of resources under sulfur limitation in the green alga Dunaliella salina. Plant Physiol. 124:857-64.
- Palmqvist K, Ögren E, Lernmark U (1994) The CO2-concentrating mechanism is absent in the green alga Coccomyxa: a comparative study of photosynthetic CO2 and light responses of Coccomyxa, Chlamydomonas reinhardtii and barley protoplasts. Plant Cell Envir. 17:65-72.