Schroecken AT, 2012 Apr 11-16. Oroboros O2k-Workshop on high-resolution respirometry (HRR), IOC68.
Abstract: O2k-Workshop on high-resolution respirometry: O2k-Basic and TPP-Basic. Schroecken, Voralberg,Austria; 2012 April 11 to 16.
ORO, IOC, 2012
Team and guest tutors
- Gnaiger Erich, CEO, Oroboros Instruments and Medical University of Innsbruck, D. Swarovski Research Laboratory
- Fasching Mario, Oroboros Instruments
- Meissner Barbara, Oroboros Instruments
- Eigentler Andrea, D. Swarovski Research Laboratory, Department of Visceral, Transplant and Thoracic Surgery, Medical University of Innsbruck
- Fontana-Ayoub Mona, Oroboros Instruments
|Albertini Eva||AT Innsbruck Jansen-Duerr P: University of Innsbruck (AT)||FAHD1, senescence, aging, Mus musculus, C. elegans|
|Arbo Ingerid||NO Trondheim Rognmo O: Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NO)||Mitochondrial function, exercise training, disease|
|Bakkerud Fredrik Hjulstad||NO Trondheim Rognmo O: Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NO)||Mitochondrial function, exercise training, disease|
|Barth Sonja||AT Graz Graier W: University of Graz (AT)||Calcium, endocannabinods|
|Cannon Daniel T.||US CA San Diego Cannon DT: San Diego State University (US)||Exercise training, skeletal muscle, primary pulmonary arterial hypertension|
|Distefano Giovanna||US PA Pittsburgh Goodpaster BH: University of Pittsburgh Department of Medicine (US)||Aging, exercise, skeletal muscle, mitochondrial respiration|
|Esfandiary Azadeh||DE Giessen Weissmann N: Justus-Liebig-Univ. Giessen (DE)||Mitochondria, cardiovascular diseases|
|Felser Andrea||CH Basel Kraehenbuehl S: Universitätsspital Basel (CH)||Mitochondria, ROS, apoptosis|
|Jespersen Nichlas Riise||DK Aarhus Boetker HE: Aarhus University Hospital (DK)||Ischemic-reperfusion injury, respiratory capacity, ROS production|
|Johannsen Darcy||Pennington Biomedical Research Center (US)||Respiration, human skeletal muscle, metabolism, chronic disease, obesity, type 2 diabetes|
|Kapitsinou Pinelopi||US TN Nashville Wasserman DH: Vanderbilt University Medical Center (US)||Hypoxia, signaling, endothelial cell bioenergetics|
|Kluckova Katarina||CZ Prague Neuzil J: Institute of Biotechnology (CZ)||Cancer, inhibition, Complex I, Complex II|
|Lund Jim||NO Tromsoe Larsen TS: University of Tromsø (NO)||Exercise, obesity, heart|
|Meers Grace||VA Hospital (US)||Mitochondrial function, NAFLD|
|Noland Robert C||US LA Baton Rouge Noland RC: Pennington Biomedical Research Center (US)||Insulin resistance, diabetes, lipid and glucose metabolism, mitochondria, peroxisome, oxidation, oxygen consumption, membrane potential, ATP, oxidative stress|
|Ojuka Edward O||ZA Cape Town Ojuka EO: University of Cape Town (ZA)||Nuclear respiratory factors|
|Olek Robert||PL Gdansk Kaczor JJ: Gdansk University - School of Physical Education and Sport and Medical University of Gdansk (PL)||Hypercaloric diets, mitochondrial function|
|Palladino Michael John||US PA Pittsburgh Palladino MJ: University of Pittsburgh SOM (US)||PC3, drosophila|
|Peyta Laure||Inserm U1069 - N2C (FR)||Hepatocytes, oxidative phosphorylation, ROS, membrane potential|
|Podramägi Taavi||EE Tartu Paju K: University of Tartu (EE)|
|Rognmo Oivind||NO Trondheim Rognmo O: Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NO)|
|Schmitz Lysann||DE Cologne Larsson NG: Max Planck Institute for the Biology of Ageing (DE)||OXPHOS dysfunction|
|Stottrup Nicolaj Brejnholt||DK Aarhus Boetker HE: Aarhus University Hospital (DK)||Ischemic-reperfusion injury, respiratory capacity, ROS production|
|Uusijärvi Johan||SE Stockholm Weitzberg E: Karolinska Institute (SE)||Cyanide, hyperband, hydroxicobalamine, sodiumthiosulfate|
|Woodlief Tracey||US FL Orlando Goodpaster BH: Florida Hospital (US)||Lipid induced ROS production|
|Li Ying||SG Singapore Hausenloy DJ: Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School (SG)||Metabolic diseases, cancer, neuroscience|
|Ziolkowski Wieslaw||PL Gdansk Kaczor JJ: Gdansk University - School of Physical Education and Sport and Medical University of Gdansk (PL)||Exercise, skeletal and cardiac mitochondria, dystrophy|
Hot topics in mitochondrial physiology - abstracts
|Lund 2012 Abstract IOC68||Lund J, Hafstad AD, Hagve M, Larsen TS, Aasum E (2012) High intensity exercise prevents impairment of respiratory capacity in cardiac mitochondria from obese mice. MiPNet17.08.|
|Bouitbir 2012 Abstract IOC68||Bouitbir J, Charles A-L, Echaniz-Laguna A, Kindo M, Daussin F, Auwerx J, Piquard F, Geny B, Zoll J (2012) Effects of statins on mitochondrial function in cardiac and skeletal muscles. MiPNet17.08.|
|Cannon 2012 Abstract IOC68||Cannon DT, Oudiz R, Casaburi R, Rossiter HB (2012) The effects of exercise training on skeletal muscle mitochondrial function in patients with primary pulmonary arterial hypertension. MiPNet17.08.|
|Distefano 2012 Abstract IOC68||Distefano G, Dube JJ, Helbling NL, Ritov VB, Stefanovic-Racic M, Toledo FGS, Ng J, Goodpaster BH, Coen PM (2012) Human skeletal muscle mitochondria respiration: The influence of aging, adiposity and aerobic fitness. MiPNet17.08.|
|Esfandiary 2012 Abstract IOC68||Esfandiary A, Pak O, Weissmann N, Sommer N (2012) Mitochondrial respiration in experimental right heart hypertrophy. MiPNet17.08.|
|... further results|
- This workshop is a component of the K-Regio project MitoCom Tyrol.
- Thank you so much for the wonderful time in Schröcken. It was, by FAR, the best workshop/conference/meeting that I have had the pleasure of attending. The balance between demonstration and hands-on experience was perfect. I cannot overstate the tremendous hospitality at Berghotel Körbersee, as well as the friendly, and fun environment of Gentle Science! ... admittedly the unparalleled company, sun, snow, scenery, and copious volume of weissbier were my favorites! - Cannon DT, MiPNet Lab: US CA Torrance Rossiter HB.
- We greatly appreciate a wonderful time in Schrocken and we hope to meet you in the near future. - Olek R, MiPNet Lab: PL Gdansk Kaczor JJ.
- It was the best workshop or course I attended during my PhD so far. And I will closely follow your progress with the homogenizer since I see the great potential it has. I guess everyone that has isolated mitochondria would. - Lund J, O2k-Network Lab: NO Tromso Larsen TS.
- I think I was just overwhelmed by all the excellent experiences from the wonderful workshop. I started to set up my brand new O2k today, very eager to get it work as soon as possible. It is such an honor to have the chance to share your experience with O2k and to get the intelligence answers of lots of my questions from you. I feel myself so motivated to enjoy the complex and mysterious world of mitochondria/bioblast. I will be very proud to see the success of Oroboros worldwide, and I do hope that I can contribute to that! - Li Y, O2k-Network Lab: SG Singapore Summers SA.
- The IOC68 was really great!!! The Oroboros team, the program and location of the workshop, and the nice and enthusiastic people attending; something very, very special!! I enjoyed and learned a lot! - Arbo I, O2k-Network Lab: NO Trondheim Rognmo O.
- I really enjoyed the IOC68 workshop. Thanks for the opportunity to take part. I truly learned a lot and look forward to the potential of attending a summer session and/or becoming a guest tutor. - Woodlief TL, O2k-Network Lab: US PA Pittsburgh Goodpaster BH.
- Thank you for this great time at this wonderful place, it was a big pleasure for me to take part. I really learned a lot and it was great to meet so nice and interesting people from all over the world. Thanks to the whole Oroboros Team! - Schmitz L, O2k-Network Lab: DE Cologne Larsson NG.
- I purchased an Oroboros about 10 months ago and attended the training workshop last April which was an absolutely fantastic experience and strengthened my belief in not only the system, but the entire Oroboros Team as well. I first want to thank all of you for putting on such a great, fun filled, information packed workshop! - Noland RC, O2k-Network Lab: US LA Baton Rouge Noland RC.
Dear O2k-Workshop participants,
1. Workshop materials
For those who have one (or more) O2k-instruments in the lab, I recommend to bring along the O2k-Compendium (O2k-Manual). During the Workshop, we will repeatedly refer to the O2k-Manual (open access).
The fully updated O2k-Manual, O2k-Protocols, and O2k-References (pdf reprints) will be available on your personal Oroboros-USB included in the workshop material. Bring your laptop or use our Notebooks during the workshop, making yourself familiar with the O2k-FileFinder while our tutors can provide immediate guidance. You can download the DatLab software and many DatLab demo files from the Oroboros-USB, such that you can practice the use of DatLab. Although our software is known as user-friendly, DatLab is always a key part of a hands-on workshop. A comprehensive methodological overview on high-resolution respirometry (Pesta and Gnaiger 2012), is recommended for reading as a good preparation for the workshop. In addition to the literature, a random or targeted walk through the O2k-Catalogue provides lots of information on the various parts of the O2k and its modular extensions (O2k-Catalogue on the Bioblast wiki).
2. Final programme
The programme can be accessed and downloaded here.
We keep the programme flexible, and all theoretical parts are discussion-oriented and interactive. In addition to the practical sessions, we will cover some fundamentals of mitochondrial physiology and protocol design. If you want to refresh your memory on a few conventional bioenergetic terms, take a look in the MitoPedia on respiratory states - we will take some time to discuss the rationale for an extension of bioenergetics to mitochondrial physiology.
>>> Summary of links
- O2k-Manual: O2k-Manual
- Pesta D, Gnaiger E (2012) High-resolution respirometry. OXPHOS protocols for human cells and permeabilized fibres from small biopsies of human muscle. Methods Mol Biol 810: 25-58.
- IOC Recommended Reading
- Oroboros O2k-Catalogue
- IOC68 Programme: http://www.oroboros.at/?IOC68
- MitoPedia: Respiratory states
I am looking forward to an exciting O2k-Workshop, and seeing you next week in Schroecken.
--Gnaiger Erich 08:36, 31 March 2012 (CEST)Erich
Introductory workshop in parallel sessions: O2k Basic and TPP Basic
The workshop is run in parallel sessions: O2k Basic and TPP Basic. Specific emphasis is placed on hands-on practical sessions with the instrument and the software DatLab 4.3, to introduce the participants into the technical and operational details of the method. The workshop programme is complemented by combined lectures (general topics; substrate-uncoupler-inhibitor titration SUIT protocols) and experiments run in "Special interest groups". Short presentations of 'Hot topics in Mitochondrial Physiology' provide participants with the opportunity to present and discuss their work, including projects in progress, methodological details and conceptual aspects. Please register for O2k Basic or TPP Basic according to your specific needs and interest.
- O2k Basic includes a basic introduction to the Oroboros O2k, overview presentations on high-resolution respirometry (HRR), and applications in mitochondrial physiology.
- TPP Basic is customized particularly for users interested in MultiSensor applications, particularly ion selective electrodes for measurement of mitochondrial membrane potential (TPP+, TPMP+). It covers an introduction to basic concepts on mitochondrial membrane potential: proton pumps, ion gradients, electrochemical potential (proton motive force) and the measurement of mt-membrane potential in biological samples (homogenate, permeabilized fibres). Furthermore, data analysis (from TPP+ to mt-membrane potential) will constitue a major part. According to interest of the participant other MultiSensor applications, like measurement of Ca2+, calibration and calculation of free Ca2+ in buffered solutions and acidification rate (pH) can be discussed/demonstrated. Please indicate your topics of interest (Ca2+, pH etc.) in advance.