La Paz to Mt Chacaltaya
Pyramid Lab Mt. Chacaltaya, 5280 m - High Altitude Museum
Mount Huayna Potosi
Mt. Huayna Potosi (6,088 m), viewed from the Chacaltaya laboratory, was climbed by Christopher Davis (Denver), Sonja Songa Jameson-Van Houten (Denver/Eugene), Miki, Jon Elliott (Eugene), Erich Gnaiger (Innsbruck), led by Pablo (MD, La Paz), on 2012-08-01 during a 1.5-days break from the AltitudeOmics 2012 project. Photography by Erich Gnaiger.
To Mount Illimani
Mount Illimani, 6438 m
- AltitudeOmics 2012 - After completing the work package on muscle biopsies and mitochondrial high-resolution respirometry at Chacaltaya (5,200 m), the team returned to La Paz on August 10 (taking a shower at 3,700 m).
- On August 11, mountain guide Dr. Juan Pablo Ando (MD, La Paz; [email protected]) drove with Dr. Erich Gnaiger (Innsbruck) and Dr.a Carina Isabel Moreno (La Paz) from La Paz to the foot of Mt. Illimani - full of impressions on their way:
- They followed their two Aimaran porters to the high camp where they were the only group that night. They reached the tent in the dark (4 hours), enjoying a late-night soup while keeping warm in our sleeping bags.
- Pablo and Erich started the climb at 04:30, reaching the summit at 13:30.
- They returned very fast to the high camp at 16:30. By that time, three other tents had been set up in the camp.
- By night, they descended to the base and had a few hours of sleep in the car or the tent. They arrived back in La Paz in the morning (07:00), such that Erich could catch his flight out of El Alto (4,000 m) in the same morning.
Photos by Erich Gnaiger