|News and Events||Working Groups||Short-Term Scientific Missions||Management Committee||Members|
COST Action CA15203 (2016-2021): MitoEAGLE
Evolution-Age-Gender-Lifestyle-Environment: mitochondrial fitness mapping
MitoPedia topics: EAGLE
|Name||Ali Sameh S, Prof., Ph.D.,
Head of Metabolism in Cancer Research Program
57357 Children’s Cancer Hospital, EG
|Address||Seket Al-Emam Street – El-Madbah El-Kadeem Yard – El-Saida Zenab,|
|O2k-Network Lab||EG Cairo Ali SS|
- Sameh Ali is Associate Editor of the journal Bioenergetics Communications
- Keywords: mitochondria, cancer metabolism, aging, ROS dynamics, redox biology, membrane biophysics
- Dr. Ali will work within the realms of WG4 (blood and cultured cells) and potentially WG1 (protocol development) as well as WG1 (dissemination and training). He will participate in data generation, quality control, and repository efforts of protocols recommended by these working groups. Dr. Ali will contribute to training workshops and conferences that aim at defining standard procedures and terminology in the field of mitochondria physiology. - Sameh S Ali (2016).
- Benefits for COST and for the COST Action MitoEAGLE
- Dr. Ali's group are intensely engaged in research focusing on mitochondrial physiology and pathophysiology. The group is uniquely equipped to perform sophisticated metabolic screening in diverse biological specimens including cell lines, blood, animal tissues, human blood samples and tumors, etc. Dr. Ali's lab is also hosting an electron paramagnetic resonance spectrometer and thus can offer expertise for the detection, identification, and assessments of reactive oxygen species in various samples. All of these tools are routinely applied to explore mitochondrial physiology in the context of sex, gender, comparative physiology, neurodevelopmental diseases, cancer, etc. This technology will complement current expertise in various members of the COST Action MitoEAGLE.
- Targeted activities: (1) Collaborate with COST partners on standardization of mitochondria protocols. (2) Exchange of researchers and trainees. (3) Scientific collaborations such as joint research projects, joint proposals, scientific meetings, etc.
- Benefits for COST International Partner Countries
- Dr. Ali's group is the only representative of North Africa in the COST action and thus can provide a training and collaborative hub for various COST International Partner Countries.
- The Centre for Ageing Associated Diseases Egypt (CAAD) is starting a scientific revolution in Egypt.
Labels: Field of research: Basic, Clinical Topics: Mitochondria, Synaptosomes, Cardiomyocytes, Oxidative stress
|BEC 2020.1 doi10.26124bec2020-0001.v1||BEC 2020.1||Gnaiger E et al ― MitoEAGLE Task Group (2020) Mitochondrial physiology. https://doi.org/10.26124/bec:2020-0001.v1|
|Abdel-Rahman 2021 Free Radic Res||2021||Abdel-Rahman EA, Zaky EA, Aboulsaoud M, Elhossiny RM, Youssef WY, Mahmoud AM, Ali SS (2021) Autism spectrum disorder (ASD)-associated mitochondrial deficits are revealed in children's platelets but unimproved by hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Free Radic Res 55:26-40.|
|Reda 2019 Sci Rep||2019||Reda A, Refaat A, Abd-Rabou AA, Mahmoud AM, Adel M, Sabet S, Ali SS (2019) Role of mitochondria in rescuing glycolytically inhibited subpopulation of triple negative but not hormone-responsive breast cancer cells. Sci Rep 9:13748.|
|Khalifa 2017 Physiol Rep||2017||Khalifa AR, Abdel-Rahman EA, Mahmoud AM, Ali MH, Noureldin M, Saber SH, Mohsen M, Ali SS (2017) Sex-specific differences in mitochondria biogenesis, morphology, respiratory function, and ROS homeostasis in young mouse heart and brain. Physiol Rep 5. pii: e13125.|
|Abdel-Rahman 2016 Oxid Med Cell Longev||2016||Abdel-Rahman EA, Mokhtar A, Aaliya A, Radwan Y, Yasseen B, Al-Okda A, Atwa A, Elhanafy E, Habashy M, Ali SS (2016) Resolving contributions of oxygen-consuming and ROS-generating enzymes at the synapse. Oxid Med Cell Longev p19.|
|Ali 2020 MiP2020||2020|
|Ali 2019 MiP2019||2019|
|Abdel-Rahman 2019 MiP2019||2019|
|Abdel-Rahman 2019 MiPschool Coimbra||2019|
|Ali 2019 MiPschool Coimbra||2019|
|Ali 2015 Abstract MiPschool Cape Town 2015||2015||Early gender-related dimorphism in heart and brain mitochondria function and ROS dynamics.|
|Ali 2015 Abstract MiP2015||2015||Mitochondrial function and ROS homeostasis in young mouse heart and brain: the sex factor!|
|Ali 2015 Fatty Acid Oxidation O2k-Network Discussion Forum||2015||Ali 2015 Fatty Acid Oxidation O2k-Network Discussion Forum|
|Abdel-Rahman 2015 Abstract MiPschool Cape Town 2015||2015||Assessment of NADPH-dependent oxygen consumption and hydrogen peroxide production by high-resolution respirometry and EPR spectroscopy.|
|Ali 2014 Abstract MiP2014||2014||Oxygen-consuming and ROS-producing activities in synaptosomes.|
|Ali 2012 Abstract Bioblast||2012||Ali SS (2012) Interrogating Egyptian mitochondria! Mitochondr Physiol Network 17.12.|